Saturday, April 25, 2009

This is not the History of Science! (11/3/07)

NOTE: I tried to write this yesterday. Technically, I did write about 90% of it yesterday. However, it is very difficult to write something so long when the internet is not being agreeable. And when you are technically supposed to be doing something else.

So, I’m at an academic conference at the moment. Which means that I am technically working. I shouldn’t be thinking about things like cruises. There should be other things to occupy my mind.

Fortunately (???) for all of you, however, there are no interesting talks at the moment. Plus, there appears to be free wireless access in the hotel lobby, so I am going to try to write this thing before more demands are put on my oh-so-precious time. Strangely enough, I somehow doubt that my fellow conference-attendees would agree on the importance of Week in Reviews over the advancement of knowledge. Stupid Elation academic types…


To begin then, as I so often do, with The Victory:

- Apparently, one does not need to drink in order to hash. Since that basically means that you’re just going for a run, I don’t get it.

- There is another Pacific NW gathering being planned. Which is good, since it is indeed a much cooler region (in so many ways) than Southern California.

- That really, really long list of what to bring on the cruise resurfaced, prompting (somehow) comparisons between S&D and TRB. As well as a discussion about whether BNL side projects were separate bands or were simply offshoots of BNL. Either way, I’m sure I’ll see many of them…

- Muppetcoat expressed her hope that not everyone on the cruise will be 30-40 year old women and their husbands. I second this hope.

- Every thread arrives at booze eventually. Even when it begins with a worry about BNL/GBS conflicts and veers into honorary (honourary?) Canadian citizenship along the way…

- B-Dub and Mari posted their cabins. I’m sure they’re very nice, but I refuse to get excited about any cabins not on the Riviera Deck. Although if there are molasses spice cookies in Mari’s cabin, I might be willing to reassess her deck…

- NiceyDoodle and CountAbby are going to be FLL/MIA train buddies. I’m sure they’d like more buddies, should anyone else be following the same route.

- 2kids5cats finally (:p) sent out the last of the wristbands and will only part with the last one if she is entertained.

- If anyone is flying into West Palm Beach, you should let joyful1 know. Meanwhile, Mari needs to let me know how checking in early gets you an upgrade. I think this might be information that I need…

- People had cool doors last year, especially the one that won the competition. It always makes me feel artistically inadequate…

- I like flipcup. If it’s being played on the cruise, I will definitely join in. All those other games though, I’m not so sure about. Mostly because I don’t know how to play them. Whether I learn them or not, there is no way that I will be rising early enough to disturb Amicus and WeedMage early in the morning. Crazy people…

- You know, beautiful things like karaoke should only serve to bring us together, not to drive a wedge of contention between members of our message board. And if there are sailor suits and kilts, that makes it even better.

- B-Dub and dakota-xx are our newest virgins, to be mocked and hazed as necessary.

- The aforementioned dakota-xx proved her worth to the message board by instigating, however inadvertently, some typically-off-topic football (the European kind) discussion.

- Tips for the magical cleaning of plastic bottles were given (tips that I might need to take soon, since my Nalgene bottle might be needing a thorough cleaning). Also discussed was the equally magical power of Crocs to be appropriate footgear for both Manitoba and Florida.

- However horrible seasickness may be, just think how much worse it is for those who don’t like the taste of ginger… But if you can’t get the cruise time off, at least seasickness wouldn’t be a problem. Otherwise, that’s all bad.

- Is the BNL design contest over? I have an idea, probably a stupid (Elation) one, that I intend to submit if I a) get back to my real internet connection in time, b) figure out how to submit such a complicated graphic, and c) actually overcome my laziness to do it. Maybe I’ll just take consolation that cturtle1@fuse.net can be cool enough for us all.

- If you still need to book flights or hotels, joyful1 can help. If you want to get into Disney World for free, annaonthemoon’s aunt could help, but probably won’t since she doesn’t know you. I find that most people are sort of weird that way. And I am very jealous of sarah11918’s proposed Scandinavia trip, however complicated it may be…

- If annaonthemoon actually does work out the copyright issues and makes those magnets, I think that she might be very, very popular on the cruise. And how does Disney own the rights to the Mounties?!? That just seems wrong somehow.

- To continue with the annaonthemoon theme, thanks to her, we now have links to even more useful information. You know, the stuff that you don’t get from these recaps…

- dakota-xx apparently does not realize that telling the guys to keep out of a thread is a surefire way to get most of them to read it. No matter what we post in it…

- There might still be room in the inn (the host hotel), so all hope is not lost.

- I would think that it’s been long enough since the Boston Tea Party. We should allow the reimportation of tea at this point, shouldn’t we?

- Mrguard’s grandmother sounds cool. Just like the naked photo…


No more Victory to report on. All that remains must be defeat. Or perhaps the Seven Seas Lobby:

- Where Ocean Girl is looking for a pre-cruise hotel roommate, astrowag needs room in a cabin, and biochemgeek doesn’t need us anymore.


Done with that. Which means that it is time now for the Caribbean Lounge:

- Amazon has The Big Bang Theory theme song for sale. Although I honestly have not been watching the show (but will have ample time to, now that it’s been picked up for the season), I quite like the song. Anything that validates my astronerdiness must be good.

- I like the BNL in bed with Sharon Osbourne clip too, although I have absolutely no idea of when or where or how I saw it. Oh well. And the funny BNL moments have inevitably brought up the Au Naturale tour. I had a ticket to a concert on that tour. But it was stolen. I am still bitter.

- Gaelic Storm will be playing in Maryland sometime in the distant future. That’s too far from home for me to get too excited, but other people should take care of that for me.

- It is apparently normal to have a Ships and Dip playlist. And to play Christmas songs all year… Or maybe “normal” isn’t a term I should be using in this crowd?

- Which is not to imply that any of us have a problem with BNL/cruise overindulgence. I am a little concerned that BarenakedActuary would imply such a thing.

Even if it does signify some sort of midlife crisis, Steve’s hair beats Kelly Ripa any day.

- A “Drinking Song-Off” between Gaelic Storm and Great Big Sea would be a beautiful, beautiful thing.

- If anyone does figure out on exactly which 90210 episode BNL is featured, please let me know so that I can Netflix the DVD. And then possibly lose it…

- Jason Plumb will be performing in Toronto when I will be there. This is a good thing.

- However much the rest of us may disagree with her assessment, I think we may have to give 2kids credit for trying to like Great Big Sea at this point.

- Ed’s Up, season 2 is beginning. And will be missed by all of us poor people who are without Canadian television.

- There are previews of Talk to the Hand available all over the internet! When I am back to my normal internet access, I will be checking them out. Somehow that seems an inappropriate thing in the middle of a conference…


Now the tough part. Somehow I have to get through the morass of insanity pervading throughout the Grand Buffet. Weaker souls would give up at this point, but I know that I shall prevail (assuming that my currently slow internet connection allows it…)!

- Halloween cartoons are amusing. But do not lend themselves to witty commentary.

- Nor do “single tracks of ‘white hot awesomeness’ apparently.

- It’s kind of nice to read about other people ditching crappy jobs when one is considering a change of career.

- But a brief return
Was all the haiku we got.
Don’t forget this thread!

- We thought the cruise was rough. I’m guessing the ride that WeedMage posted might have been a little worse.

- Assuming you could print the coupons, you could get free stuff from Tylenol. Yay for free stuff! Even if you’re not supposed to give it to your kids.

- The new season of 24 might be good. If I had any intention whatsoever of watching this show, I’d probably care more about this.

- Bill Maher has joined the out-of-closet Dumbledore fracas. And has a book.

- MoodyCat’s job, at least when it involves pulling crashed airplane pilots out of lakes, is probably more interesting than most other people’s occupations.

- More favorite lyrics were shared, some of which reminded me of more favorite lyrics of my own that had been forgotten…

- WeedMage has explained life. Guess I can check that off my list now…

- BNL’s on Sirius radio today. Yet another BNL-related broadcast to which I do not have access.

- Losing a pet sucks. Really, really sucks. I am going to stop thinking about this now.

- Is the whole issue of Halloween candy personality related to the “you are what you eat” philosophy? How about the identification with desserts in general?

- I’m still in the phone booth.

- People who wear shoes with tall heels are either much braver or much more coordinated than I am.

- Is the whole procrastination=getting things done thing moot if your procrastination consists mainly of posting on this message board?

- Ticketmaster probably would still charge a “convenience fee” for a fake, test ticket. They’re evil that way.

- Many Canadians play hockey. I don’t think that MotownGuyinWI cares.

- I may not know how to play Guitar Hero (any version, new or old), but it does look like fun…

- shipanddip.com isn’t nearly as entertaining as this message board.

- If the Tylenol coupon wasn’t enough for you, then check out the Kohl’s coupon, courtesy of 2kids!

- Pumpkins made out of smilies are cute.

- And if you don’t like those, there are pumpkins made out of Qlippit too.

- The Packers won. This made several people very happy.

- It has begun to get cold in certain places. Cold weather seems to bring out the Mel Brooks in us…

- The Red Sox won the World Series. Some are excited by this. Some are less excited by this. As a resident of New York City, I feel that it is not safe to let my feelings on this subject become public.

- Why aren’t there more pictures of Halloween costumes? I love Halloween costumes.

- I learned some interesting information about football this week. Thank you Michelle in WI!

- Unlike all other BNL-related media that was discussed this week, I will be able to watch them on A&E. Assuming I don’t forget about the broadcast…

- My favorite candies on Halloween were the chocolate bars. All else scored very, very low on my personal Halloween candy matrix.

- If you’re sticking around after the cruise, shell824 would like to hang out with you. I would hang around, but I think my presence might be required back home after such a long absence (that I don’t technically have permission to take…).

- So what was the reason for the white rabbit thing yesterday? I was too lazy (and internet-deprived) to check.

- Could we now consider smashing pumpkins to be a valid protest against the unfair taxing of our favorite gourd?

- I may need to spend New Year’s in Arizona.

- Quebec is a funny place. Funny weird. But “You Will Be Waiting” is a cool song, so it’s not all bad! Quebec est une place amusante. Pas amusant, mais etrange. Mais "Tu attendras" est un chanson chouette, alors ce n'est pas tous mal. Or something like that.

- It is definitely wisest to have a passport for the cruise. And since Canada has eliminated the need-to-have-an-authority-figure-verify-your-existence requirement, I might have two!

- Thanks to the magic of this message board, we can now know who we are.

- It seems to me that a man who goes by the name “Dog” should probably avoid insulting entire groups of people.

- Time for another mp3 shuffle! I’m guessing that BNL might show up on mine again, should I get around to it. When I’m back in a location where I can play music that is. I somehow think that the history of science conference might not fully appreciate my music in the middle of all the serious talks.

- It’s Mommyand3’s birthday! Did anyone else not previously realize that she and Snow Leopard were married? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

- You can advertise anything, anything at all on Craig’s List. But the people who do so are quite often freaks who should be avoided by nice, normal freaks like us. Some of those freaks do drugs. I miss that old “This is your brain on drugs” ad. That was cool.

- MoodyCat needs help to make a t-shirt for the cruise. I need to get motivated to actually order the t-shirt I designed for myself about 2 months ago…

- Thanks to our movie casting acumen (and maybe just a little IMDB), the non-ABC game is still going. And yes, Shell, there are always rules.

- I don’t know Big Head Todd, but anyone who gives me free music must be cool.

- While I was writing this, dakota-xx’s “no boys” thread got moved to the Grand Buffet, thus necessitating its mention again. I was right about the boys not staying out too…

- I haven’t watched Phenomenon, but I have watched the stupid (Elation) little scroll thing that pops up in the middle of half of the shows I watch, thus obliterating unimportant things like subtitles and the lower halves of characters’ faces.

- I notice that no one (besides personal venus, who is my new hero) actually recapped ANY of this message board. Not so easy, is it? Bet you appreciate me now… Oh, and this is the summary of the random thread, in case you were wondering.

- I totally forgot that people were racing to 1000 posts. But congratulations to WeedMage for winning!

- 2kids’ daughter has definitely figured out the “scary” costume thing. That was impressive!

- I would have watched the “How to Get Fired” clip, but I lack a job to be fired from and thus felt that it would be somewhat useless. And, again, inappropriate at an academic conference (which just sucks the fun out of everything, really).

- OK, I didn’t go and check what the current topic of the ABC thread is, but reading the responses without that knowledge is even more fun!

- I was a little disturbed to realize that I recognized most of the comedy movie quotes. Either all of you have excellent cinematic taste, or I need to stop watching so many movies…

- And last, but most definitely not least, personal venus is wonderful. A wonder. A beautiful, beautiful person who apparently wastes time as well as me. Although I should have already known this, considering she’s the only person who’s consistently had more posts than me over the past several months. Whatever – she rocks the entire universe! :D:D:D:D:D


And that, as they say, is that. No more week to review. Until next week, when the vicious cycle will repeat again. And again. And again. Until that glorious day comes when we leave all this behind and sail off into the sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment